Recently, I had the great good fortune to take the trip of a lifetime, to Bordeaux on a private jet – a Gulfstream G4.The trip was courtesy of a wine-loving billionaire who invited 10 wine professionals from around the country to tour his estates in Bordeaux and his friend’s domaines in the Loire Valley.
During the flights, we were pampered by an attentive flight attendant with glasses of Champagne, top Bordeaux and amazing platters of foods. Once on the ground, we were whisked around the French countryside in two Mercedes vans. Of course, we drank amazing wines and enjoyed spectacular cuisine!
Highlights of the trip:
* Touring Chateau Fontplegade, a Saint-Emilion Grand Cru
* Barrel sampling the outstanding 2008 vintage in Bordeaux
* Catching air in front of Pomerol’s legendary Chateau Petrus
* Dining like royalty in charming Saint-Emilion
* Goofing around the lawn of Chateau Cheval Blanc
* Staying in the picturesque village of Chenonceaux in the Loire Valley
* Visiting the “troglodyte” caves of Vouvray
* The wonderful, charming people I met, especially my fellow travelers – no self-important snoots on the trip!
* Getter better acquainted with Bordeaux and the Loire by insiders